For the shortcrust pastry
- 175 g plain flour
- 75 g chilled unsalted butter
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 2-3 tbsp raspberry jam
- 50 g flaked almonds
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 free-range egg beaten
For the icing
- 80 g icing sugar
- 2½ tsp cold water
For the pastry
- Add the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the water until you have a soft dough.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough until its large enough to line an 8" tin.
- Line the tin with the dough and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 200C(180C fan).
- Using foil line your pastry case and fill with baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and beans and cook for another 5 minutes to dry out the base.
For the filling
- Spread the raspberry jam generously until the whole base is covered.
- On a medium heat melt the butter a pan and stir in the sugar.
- Once combined add the ground almonds, egg and almond extract and mix together.
- Pour the mix in to the pastry case and distribute the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. If you notice the almonds starting to brown loosely cover with foil to prevent them burning.
- Sift icing sugar in to a bowl and stir in the cold water.
- Once mixed pour in to a piping bag with small nozzle and pipe the icing over the top of the tart, typically in a zig zag pattern.Leave to cool and enjoy 🙂
8" loose bottomed flan tin
Piping bag and nozzleAdapted from Mary Berry's Easy Bakewell Tart